Subscribers here will be aware that the email service I use is MailChimp. I’ve used it for several years and have generally had a good experience with few problems.
…the service now “does not allow the distribution of content that is, in our sole discretion, materially false, inaccurate, or misleading, in a way that could deceive or confuse others about important events, topics, or circumstances.”
Here is the policy from their site:
So obviously this means that if someone at MailChimp determines that something I write could deceive or confuse you, dear reader (‘cuz they know you are too stupid to decide for yourself), my entire account and email list can be removed without warning.
Surely this must raise some questions in your mind. Here are a few:
– what are the criteria for determining deception or confusion?
– who specifically is watching for messages that are now in violation of the new rule?
– do subscribers have a say in any of this? You might want to get “confusing” information for personal reasons.
– what if the censors at MailChimp make a mistake? In other words, who checks the checkers?
– what recourse does a site owner have if the email list that, in some cases, has taken years to build is taken away?
– who owns the list? If the client, then this would be theft. If MailChimp, why is this not stated explicitly when signing up for the service. I’ve never been told this.
I could go on, but I hope you see the problem. This is yet another volley in the battle for your heart and mind.
I never claim certainty about my views as, as mentioned elsewhere, I’ve changed them on occasion when presented with new facts or another way to think about things. People who think are like that. We question, consider, assess, and judge information in our own way and time.
All people are fallible. This includes the arrogant censors at MailChimp who hold the power to shut me out “at their sole discretion”. Therein lies the entirety of the issue. Someone as prone to error as me or you is going to decide whether what I write is worthy of being sent to you. If they are wrong it won’t matter since you won’t be notified.
So I urge you to simply bookmark mindmuser.com and check in here periodically. My emails may stop arriving and the only notification will be me posting about being shut down by MailChimp.