This logo appears at the bottom of my site. It’s for the web hosting company where this site is hosted. It’s located in Canada and with all the choices available for hosting, I thought I’d offer some information about these folks.
I can tell you that I’ve had an excellent experience with them, in particular with regard to the loading speed of my site. These days it can appear one is out of business if your site takes too long to load. I was running into some problems with my previous host with this and they were unable to help me. I stumbled across That Hosting Company, made a contact there and was convinced that they offered a solution to my problem. What I didn’t know at the time were the other reasons for using a Canadian web host. So I asked them to send me a breakdown of the advantages and this is the reply:
1. Privacy. You don’t have it on a US server and never will since they abolished Net Neutrality. Any new discoveries, blueprints, published works designs and plans can be taken at any time and published before the owner of such items is able to do so.
2. Currency. Obviously paying in Canadian is better because there are no additional fees involved in the exchange ratio disparity.
3. Search Ranking Scores. Google ranks services in Canada higher to Canadians when the website is hosted on a Canadian server. If your core target is Canadian, then being on a Canadian server can get you additional Canadian traffic naturally instead of paying for it. Being on a US server is more of a general shotgun approach.
4. This is more a “why us” item, but the free SSL that we provide also helps in the natural ranking of your domain in the Canadian based search engine rankings, especially when used to secure the entire website end to end. Google ranks pages higher for end to end SSL service.
5. Environmental Impact. Canadian Website Hosting Companies tend to care more for their environment and will do all that we can to reduce our carbon footprints by recycling / up-cycling servers, reducing the amount of ozone degenerating gases, contributing our time and efforts to environmentally impacting causes and using less energy than the typical US data centre.
6. Customer Service. Typically US firms will outsource their customer service with people you may have a tough time understanding. This may also be a “Why Us” item, but we tend to offer customer service from in-house workers. That Hosting Company is designed to be Canadian owned and Operated.
My experience with That Hosting Company has been excellent, so I’ve signed on as an affiliate in order to help them grow. If you are considering a new website or moving to a new host, click here and give them a try.